Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 05 - Walking through the Masses

All right, the thing with the jetlag is gone. I went to bed so late that my body just couldn't wake up until the alarm clock rang. Yeah, there's the thing with being tired, but that can be fixed.

Today we went to the more crowded places in Tokyo. We started off at Akihabara, the youth district. I simply couldn help myself and ran into every single videogame and anime shop... More than half of the games diplayed never reach Europe. It was really amazing. One of the things that appealed more to me was the new Eureka Seven movie they were announcing everywhere. Unfortunately my budget does not allow me to spend 5000 yen on a DVD.
We also found a huge 8 floors tall manga store. For some reason I didn't know almost any of the mangas displayed. It seems that either the manga in spanish stores is outdated or spanish geeks simply read other stuff than japanese ones.

Right after Akihabara we went to Shinjuku, from where we walked to the Yoyogi Park in Harajuku. At the entrance there was a group of Japanese men with Elvis-style haircuts dancing to some rock music. A few meters away we found another group dressed up like the Americans of the '50 dancing to some older pop music (The Beatles among others), followed by another group of Elvis-stylers doing some airguitar... Interesting :D

The park itself was really beatiful. There were all sorts of people. There were groups doing synchronized dance, there were some kids playing baseball, a man was practicing accordeon, etc. I filmed a lot of it, and will put it online as soon as I finish my trip, cut the videos and put some background music on it. Right now, I will only post some pictures below.

After the park, we walked up to Tocho, the City Hall, stopping at a department store first to by some bento boxes. We also bought some Japanese candies, which I really recommend those of you who can to try. Back at home I used to slip a few of those (imported, of course) into the shopping cart when I had to buy something else from an online gamer store.
The views from the Tocho observation floor are really amazing: you can't see the end of the mass of buildings. When you're up there you notice how huge Tokyo is. Also, it made us realize how much we had walked... Of course, our sore feet were already a clue to that.

Finally, we decided to go to the Starbucks at Shibuya, not because of it being a Starbucks, but because of the view you get on the crossing at Shibuya. But, since Shinjuku was on our route to Shibuya anyway, I took a fast look at the huge electronics store there. One of the things that confirmed my thought that Japan is way ahead of us in terms of technology was finding a lot of Cat-7 cable there. In spain it is even rare to find 1000MB cable, since the standard LAN connection is just 100MB...

After drinking something at Shibuya and watching the masses of people passing by while it was getting darker, we took a short walk through the district at night. The fotos we took can give you a small hint at how beatiful it is to walk through those small streets illuminated by neon lights at night.

---------------------------------------------
Akihabara

At the park

View from Tocho

Shinjuku

Shinjuku at night

No comments:

Post a Comment